Label Cloud

donderdag 25 oktober 2007

Now Presents Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings

Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings performed at the Ancienne Belgique (Brussels) yesterday evening. Man, can that lady rock. Pure unadulterated funk! I never heard of her until about a year ago. My man Reck asked me if I wanted to go to a live show in Louvain. So, we went, she rocked the house and we got ludicrously drunk (well, Reck was wasted, I could hardly remember my name, but that’s a different story). My mom told me a while back that I always tell her about great live shows that I’ve been to, but I never invite her to come with me. So, since we’re talking about seventies revival bands, it became a family event: Dad, Mom, Hammy and my foster brother off to see some live goodness.

Sharon Jones is as classic as they get. She started singing in her local church choir as a child. She entered several talent shows in the early seventies and later on she did studio work as a backing singer. Unfortunately she never got a solo record, until she did a backing on a Lee Fields track in 1996. Subsequently she had two hits with Switchblade and the Landlord. She gained a small following through the release of several 45” singles and by building a good live reputation. In 2002 her first solo album was released on the newly formed Daptone Records, called Dap Dippin’ with Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, followed by Naturally (2005) and 100 Days, 100 Nights (2007).

First up was The Dynamites feat. Charles Walker, who have just released their first album (Kaboom!). Again, here is some hardcore revival of late sixties funk. Walker has an excellent voice and the arrangements get your feet moving. Unfortunately, the soundman sabotaged their sound (as they are wont to do for the opening act, anyone remember Akro when playing before LL Cool J?). Although they were giving it all they got, it didn’t really come across.

Next up was the lady of the hour. It’s refreshing to see a sturdy woman with more personality in her small toe than all the Rihannas of the world combined sing some genuinely good music. All of a sudden the sound was how it should be and for the next hour or so she and the band got the crowd moving. She goes into a dialogue with her audience, and invites people up on the stage when singing tracks that necessitate an interlocutor. But mostly, they just rocked. Anyway, enough talk, here’s some music (torrent link):

Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings:

Quantcast
SeeqPod Music beta - Playable Search














The Dynamites feat. Charles Walker:







Geen opmerkingen: